Facts about the image, Dresden Elbschlosser Lingner and Eckberg
Pictured here are the Dresden Elbschlosser Lingner and Eckberg, two of the three castles (Schlösser) on the Wachwitzer bank of the River Elbe in the east of Dresden, Schloss Albrechtsberg, Lingner Schloss and Schloss Eckberg, built by Albrecht von Preussen between 1850 and 1861. These Schlösser have their own small vineyards and form part of the Sächische Weinstrasse.
Schloss Albrechtsberg stands a little further to the left of the image and was at the time of making the image surrounded by scaffolding and therefore excluded from the image. The image was taken in February 2012 at a time when Dresden was experiencing temperatures as low as -20ºC at night and large plates of ice were floating on the Elbe prompting the authorities to close the river to all shipping.
The Sächische Weinstrasse is the smallest wine producing area in Europe, making only enough wine to supply the region, starting in Diesbar Seusslitz and following the north bank of the River Elbe through Dresden and as far upstream as Pilnitz the three castles in Dresden are literally at the centre of the wine street and still produce small quantities of wine today. All the vineyards as are the castles are located on the north bank of the river to catch the sun which warms and ripens the grapes to give high quality wine.